Is it time to change your home’s flooring? Or you are wondering what type of floor to use for your new home? In the course of your search, you heard about vinyl flooring and how amazing it can be. Then, you begin wondering if there is a guide to buying vinyl flooring anywhere on the internet. LV Flooring has got you covered.
This guide doesn’t just give you general information on buying vinyl flooring materials. It is specific to your location, Canada. When it comes to pricing, there is a disparity between local Canadian products and other countries.
The process of buying vinyl floorings deserves the research you are doing. In fact, there are several factors you need to note. Whatever the type of flooring you are going for, you need information before making a decision. This is because floorings are critical parts of the home’s interior. They play a significant role in whether your house or office will look beautiful or not. This is the primary reason why we created this guide on how to buy vinyl flooring in Canada.
There are differences in colour, style, and even the part of the home a particular type of vinyl flooring will fit. Over the buying vinyl flooring.
What is Vinyl Flooring?
Vinyl floorings are simple synthetic flooring options that are produced from polyvinyl chloride plastic. The manufacturing process is simple, with the small pieces of coloured PVC getting heated before being made into thin layers. The adhering of these thin layers can result in the formation of flexible sheets of vinyl. You can either leave these sheets as they are or cut them into tiles and planks.
Due to its nature, manufacturers make vinyl to imitate different materials. This results in a variety of styles, colours, and textures. This array of available final forms there makes having a guide to buying vinyl flooring critical.
The closest comparison to vinyl floors is laminate flooring. However, laminate is composed of natural materials. The same goes for linoleum. Vinyl flooring is cheaper and more durable. It is also easier to install compared to other flooring options. Beyond the price, there are several other reasons why you should go for vinyl flooring.
Why Do You Need Vinyl Flooring?
Arguably, when you enter your friend’s new home, the first thing you will notice is the floor. The same applies when you have visitors in your home. Hence, you need to pay attention to every detail of your flooring. So far, in this article, we have established that vinyl flooring is a great choice. It’s affordable and offers so much flexibility in installation.
There are two primary ways with which you can install vinyl floors. These are;
- Vinyl sheets: These come in different measurements of 6 to 12 different widths. They come mostly in prepared rolls, and you can also state the cut dimension you want.
- Vinyl tiles: These are available in 12′ by 18′ squares. Manufacturers ship them with self-adhesive, which makes them pretty easy to install.
Either of the two installations explained above comes easier than installing other types of floors. All the numerous forms of vinyl floors can be installed in any of the two ways. Apart from its easy installation, here are other reasons why vinyl flooring is highly recommended.
When building a home, no one wants to invest in materials they’ll need to change anytime soon. This is what makes vinyl floors important. With these floors, you can get a quality product at affordable prices. The floors are durable and can handle high traffic. They are prone to less degree of damage. It’s for this reason that you see them commonly used in commercial spaces.
Once you buy vinyl flooring in Canada and get a professional to install it, you’ll not have a problem with the floor in a long time. Also, most manufacturers provide about fifteen years of warranty on the products.
It wouldn’t be a complete guide to buying vinyl flooring if there is no mention of maintenance. Vinyl floorings are very easy to maintain. With these floors, you get the whole treat. You get an affordable flooring option, then it comes with easy installation and is extremely durable. After installation, you don’t have to worry about giving it your constant attention.
They are resistant to abrasion, and you can easily clean them through mechanical or chemical means. They are also dust-free and can handle the conditions in humid regions.
Related article: Vinyl vs. Laminate Flooring
This is one of the greatest advantages of these flooring options. They come in various colours and styles making them an aesthetic flooring option. The design potential of vinyl flooring means they can be made to resemble other products.
They can be styled as wood, concrete, stone, etc. You’ll probably think the floors are precisely these natural materials from a distance. It’s only on a close look that you’ll discover that it’s just an imitation.
Whatever material you plan to use, flooring your house bumpers the sale or resale value. As mentioned earlier, arguably, the first thing that a visitor sees in the home is the floor. In the case of a resale, if you have your flooring thoroughly finished, the first impression on potential buyers as they enter the home can make the difference.
Vinyl flooring is very resistant to water and other harmful substances. This makes them the best bet when you consider the flooring for your kitchen. They are resistant to various substances that may fall on them. These include acid, detergents, petrol, alkali, and soaps. This gives them more reliability than other flooring products.
Ultimate Guide to Buying Vinyl Flooring
Knowing how to buy vinyl flooring is not rocket science. You only need observation and aesthetic skills here. What is good for the goose may not be for the gander. Hence, you need to know the flooring needs for your home or office. Here’s what you need to know.
What to look out for when buying vinyl flooring
While so far, we have looked at the various advantages of using vinyl flooring, you probably have an idea of what to expect. However, there are some peculiarities to guide your choice. This sub-section further intimates you with how to choose the best vinyl flooring for your home.
- Where will the vinyl flooring go? This is – a critical consideration point. You should know if you are looking for one that fits the kitchen, or the one for the bathroom. Also, if you are flooring the whole house, you should be able to group your needs by room
- The type of vinyl: Basically, there are three main types of vinyl. There is the traditional type, the luxury, as well as the hybrid type. The traditional types are softer in texture. They come with a cushioned backing and get soft under the foot.
Luxury vinyl, on the other hand, has varying thicknesses and is predominantly in plant form. They are most likely used in replicating natural stone or timber. This makes them look more real. Hybrid vinyl is mainly used for high impact resistance and durability. This type of vinyl flooring astutely combines the best aspects of laminate and vinyl. The hybrid vinyl also has limestone at its core.
- Sheets or Planks: We have taken a look at these in the section above. You also need to consider which you’ll want from this. The sheets are more often used for spaces that will have minimal joins. This is mainly for large spaces. Planks take more installation time than sheets but offer a more realistic feel to the flooring. If you are trying to imitate wood with the vinyl, it’ll come looking exactly like that.
Different ways to choose your vinyl flooring
Several factors influence the type of floor you should get. This section is all about pointing you to the right vinyl flooring as a function of your need.
- For the Bathroom: The flooring in your bathroom is meant to be fresh and clean, with various patterns and designs. This is why you need the vinyl flooring custom-designed for bathrooms. From wooden effect to fresh tile patterns, these always work. Also, they are waterproof and make under your foot warm
- For the Kitchen: Kitchen vinyl is used for the style and aesthetics it adds to the kitchen. You need to make sure they are easy to clean.
- For the bedroom: This is also more about the style and décor it adds to the home. Hence, you should go for one that offers a beautiful design.
- For the Dining Area: You need the vinyl flooring in this area to be easy to clean. Thanks to the vinyl flooring, you don’t have to worry about children spilling their dinner. The floor should also be easy to install
Style is another factor to consider when trying to choose the vinyl floor you want. There are different styles made to imitate other natural materials.
- Wood effect vinyl: These are floors designed to resemble wooden floors. They are available in any form of wood, from timber to beech, oak, timber, etc. Unlike the real wooden floors, these floors need very little maintenance.
- Stone effect vinyl: These floorings come with so much elegance and also offer a high degree of versatility. They will give any room an exquisite look, and they can fit with just about any type of interior décor. Also, unlike natural stone floors, they aren’t cold, nor slippery, and very cheap to install. It offers these advantages while looking so much like a stone floor.
- Plain vinyl: These are designed to form a wonderful foundation for any room and allows for the creation of personal space. It is easy to achieve a blend of colours with these floors.
- Patterned vinyl: Manufacturers can achieve any pattern they want, from geometric to mosaic, etc. There are different patterns and designs, helping you achieve the look and feel you want.
- Tile effect vinyl: These have an impression and appearance of tiled floors. However, they save you from the enormous cost of installing tiled floors in the home. Rather than feeling cold, they are warm. They are also available in several designs.
In the end, it’s really all about just choosing the style that fits your personality and what you look to achieve with your space.
The Underlays and Flooring
A part of the guide to buying vinyl flooring you should know is the underlay. Actually, most vinyl floors do not need underlays. This is because they are designed with a base layer. This makes it unnecessary to add underlays to the flooring. Thanks to this lack of underlays, they are durable and easy to walk on.
However, in the case where the floor underneath the vinyl is uneven, you may need to work with underlays. The same also applies if there is a dampness issue with the floor. Hence, you need to consider the condition of your floor before you buy vinyl flooring in Canada.
Caring for Your Vinyl Flooring
The build of vinyl flooring and the material makes it very resistant to damage from water and other substances. Once a week, you can wipe the floor with a damp mop. You can also use a cloth moistened with warm water and a neutral detergent. You should note there is no need for a large amount of water for the cleaning to be effective.
The guide to buying vinyl flooring is critical if this is your first time looking to do your flooring. Vinyl flooring is a great option, and more and more homeowners are switching to it. It offers so many advantages and has proven to be worth the due diligence you have to do in getting the best for your home.
Here at LV Flooring, we offer different types of vinyl flooring for homes and offices. Better still, we also offer installation services alongside. Check out our online store for vinyl flooring today.
Related article: What is the Best Way to Install Hardwood Floors?